Re: gnumeric XML doesn't show result of formula

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008, Andreas J. Guelzow wrote:

On Sat, 2008-02-09 at 21:28 -0500, Allin Cottrell wrote:
The implication of your point of view seems to be: gnumeric XML is
strictly a private format -- if you're a third party and want to
make use of files saved in this format, you're SOL.

Why would you be SOL? The file contains all data in an easily readable
and completely documented format. Since the formulas are included any
results are unnecessary. Yes, some programs may prefer not to need to
recalculate the results, but they should do that even when the results
are included since there is no guarantee that the result matches the
formula.

I think we're pretty much at the end of this topic, but what I
meant was that, as a third party reading gnumeric XML, you're SOL
is you don't have a functional replacement for the Gnumeric
calculation engine at hand.  Gretl, for example, has plenty of
calculating power, but it's not a spreadsheet and is not geared to
Excel/Gnumeric function syntax. It's therefore nice to be able to
pick up formula results from XLS or ODS.

Allin Cottrell