Re: gnumeric XML doesn't show result of formula

On Sat, 2008-02-09 at 21:28 -0500, Allin Cottrell wrote:
The implication of your point of view seems to be: gnumeric XML is
strictly a private format -- if you're a third party and want to
make use of files saved in this format, you're SOL.

Why would you be SOL? The file contains all data in an easily readable
and completely documented format. Since the formulas are included any
results are unnecessary. Yes, some programs may prefer not to need to
recalculate the results, but they should do that even when the results
are included since there is no guarantee that the result matches the
formula. In the world of spreadsheets there have been lots of
incorrectly calculated formulas.

I can live with that, but I'm disappointed.  Even the wretched XLS
binary format enables third parties to read formula results if
they're willing to grub among the saved bytes.

Good that you can live with that. I would be greatly disappointed if we
would decide to enlarge the gnumeric files by 10 or 20% just to include
unnecessary formula results.

Andreas

--
"Liberty consists less in acting according to
one's own pleasure, than in not being subject

Andreas J. Guelzow
Pyrenean Shepherds