Re: gnumeric XML doesn't show result of formula

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, Andreas J. Guelzow wrote:

On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 20:37 -0500, Allin Cottrell wrote:
OK, it's a balancing act.  Gnumeric files are nice and slim
compared to most spreadsheets -- but I think they would remain
comparatively slim even with formula-results added (given the
economical XML structure and gzip compression).

Which percentage of gnumeric users do you think would even
consider using gretl or some other program that parses the xml
and expects to find the values in addition to the real data?

If you confine the question to gretl and this year, the answer is
obviously "a minuscule percentage".  But if you enlarge the
question to XML-aware free-software applications over a timescale
of, say, the next decade, I'm not so sure of the answer.

The implication of your point of view seems to be: gnumeric XML is
strictly a private format -- if you're a third party and want to
make use of files saved in this format, you're SOL.

I can live with that, but I'm disappointed.  Even the wretched XLS
binary format enables third parties to read formula results if
they're willing to grub among the saved bytes.

Allin Cottrell