Re: gnumeric XML doesn't show result of formula

On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, Andreas J. Guelzow wrote:

I think [putting formula results into the XML] this is
reasonable.  A case in point that I know of is the
econometrics program, gretl.  gretl can read a variety of
formats including gnumeric XML, but it can't do anything with
gnumeric files that use formulas: it's easy to read XML with
libxml2, but not so easy to replicate gnumeric's calculation
apparatus.

Gnumeric is out of line with other spreadsheet programs in this
respect.  (In most respects gnumeric is better than the others,
but not this one.)

Gnumeric support an xml file formats that contains the values (Open
Document Format) and an xml file format that does not. Yes some users
may like to access the values in the xml file but others would surely
prefer not to have those (for them) unnecessarily bloated files.

OK, it's a balancing act.  Gnumeric files are nice and slim
compared to most spreadsheets -- but I think they would remain
comparatively slim even with formula-results added (given the
economical XML structure and gzip compression).

Your point, that the gnumeric user can choose to save in a format
that includes results, is true, but does not cut much ice in terms
of user-friendliness.  I encountered this in writing data
importers for gretl.  I could, for example, tell people to save
their Excel data as CSV, which is trivial to import.  But people
resist that; they'd like for gretl to read their XLS files
directly.  Similarly, it would be nice to be able to import
gnumeric data directly rather than directing people to save in a
foreign format.

Allin Cottrell