Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Automatic configuration with provider choice was (GM 2.0 Promotion/Marketing (was: Interest for GM 2.00))

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 01:36:56PM +0100, Damien Sandras wrote:
> Well, I do not see why I would spend time and nights, for free, to ease
> the access to one or another provider if they don't give anything in
> return.

Ok, I can understand that. The point I was trying to make though is
that it's *them* promoting GnomeMeeting, and not the other way around.

> That's my principle, I don't code for free for commercial entities. And
> I do not "promote" commercial providers if I do not receive something in
> exchange. That's a way to justify the nights and week-ends I spend on
> the software instead of enjoying life with my wife.

I can understand, and directly identify with that. My point was that I
don't see how GnomeMeeting can offer enough of a value-add to a voip
provider to get them to pay you. Especially considering that they're
usually desperately trying to sell *hardware*. If anything,
recommending a softphone lessens their chances of selling voip hardward.

> > The preferential treatment of diamondcard is not good for
> > cross-promotion. (and it doesn't work properly anyway AFAICT) If fact,
>
> Nobody has ever reported a problem. What kind of problem do you have
> with them?

None of the URLs in the PC-To-Phone settings dialog work here. They all
return a bad certificate (expired) and then 404.

> > I find it quite odd considering that GnomeMeeting actively promotes
> > itself as a truely free (as in freedom and beer) project.
> >

> Diamondcard's support is historical. They were the first provider to
> have accepted to work with H.323 and bandwidth-consuming codecs like
> G.711 (and now GSM) so that it works in gnomemeeting, while all other
> providers were only supporting proprietary codecs.
>
> Things are a bit different with SIP.

Yes they are, thankfully, after many years of waiting.

--
CJ van den Berg

mailto:cj vdbonline com
  xmpp:cj vdbonline com