Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Automatic configuration with provider choice was (GM 2.0 Promotion/Marketing (was: Interest for GM 2.00))

Le mercredi 14 décembre 2005 à 13:19 +0100, CJ van den Berg a écrit :

> > I would probably prefer that they give back a percentage of the new
> > subscriptions and recharges to the project. That's what diamondcard is
> > currently doing.
>
> I really doubt that this makes sense. Especially with multiple voip
> providers. Why would a voip provider promote a product that sends
> people off to it's competitors?
>
> And aside from that, none of the voip providers I've come in contact
> with were subscription based and most of them had very small profit
> margins on calls. What keeps the voip providers above water is hardware
> and/or other services such as internet access. Trying to negotiate a
> slice of their meager call profits is not going to make you popular.
>
> I would much prefer it if GnomeMeeting removed all provider promotion
> code completely and support some sort of http downloadable config file
> format instead. I'm sure it would be much easier to get voip providers
> to recommend GnomeMeeting for use with their service that way and with
> a mimetype setup properly it should be easy to get it to work right out
> of the browser.

Well, I do not see why I would spend time and nights, for free, to ease
the access to one or another provider if they don't give anything in
return.

That's my principle, I don't code for free for commercial entities. And
I do not "promote" commercial providers if I do not receive something in
exchange. That's a way to justify the nights and week-ends I spend on
the software instead of enjoying life with my wife.

> The preferential treatment of diamondcard is not good for
> cross-promotion. (and it doesn't work properly anyway AFAICT) If fact,

Nobody has ever reported a problem. What kind of problem do you have
with them?

> I find it quite odd considering that GnomeMeeting actively promotes
> itself as a truely free (as in freedom and beer) project.

Diamondcard's support is historical. They were the first provider to
have accepted to work with H.323 and bandwidth-consuming codecs like
G.711 (and now GSM) so that it works in gnomemeeting, while all other
providers were only supporting proprietary codecs.

Things are a bit different with SIP.

That's just a way to ease access to people who just want it to "work",
without much effort. As for other providers, they just need to add the
proxy and login/pin in the account editor.

(o-
//\     GnomeMeeting: http://www.gnomemeeting.org/
v_/_    FOSDEM 2006 : http://www.fosdem.org
        SIP Phone   : sip:dsandras gnomemeeting net
                      sip:600000 gnomemeeting net