Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Automatic configuration with provider choice was (GM 2.0 Promotion/Marketing (was: Interest for GM 2.00))

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 12:28:28PM +0100, Damien Sandras wrote:
> Le mercredi 14 décembre 2005 à 11:15 +0100, michel memeteau a écrit :
>

> > Yep !  In the first time, I think this could be an agreement so they make a
> > donation if we make at least 100 people registering ... with the launch of
> > gnome 2.14 , this could be done easily  I think  ....
> >

> Probably a bit optimistic. 100 people registering for one service if we
> provide 15 services means 1500 people subscribing for one provider or
> another.
>
> I would probably prefer that they give back a percentage of the new
> subscriptions and recharges to the project. That's what diamondcard is
> currently doing.

I really doubt that this makes sense. Especially with multiple voip
providers. Why would a voip provider promote a product that sends
people off to it's competitors?

And aside from that, none of the voip providers I've come in contact
with were subscription based and most of them had very small profit
margins on calls. What keeps the voip providers above water is hardware
and/or other services such as internet access. Trying to negotiate a
slice of their meager call profits is not going to make you popular.

I would much prefer it if GnomeMeeting removed all provider promotion
code completely and support some sort of http downloadable config file
format instead. I'm sure it would be much easier to get voip providers
to recommend GnomeMeeting for use with their service that way and with
a mimetype setup properly it should be easy to get it to work right out
of the browser.

The preferential treatment of diamondcard is not good for
cross-promotion. (and it doesn't work properly anyway AFAICT) If fact,
I find it quite odd considering that GnomeMeeting actively promotes
itself as a truely free (as in freedom and beer) project.

--
CJ van den Berg

mailto:cj vdbonline com
  xmpp:cj vdbonline com