[GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Please all read this one

Le lun 02/06/2003 à 12:35, Kilian Krause a écrit :

> well.. actually that's half true.. for mozilla/galeon/etc. and opera u
> can enable url-guessing mode, which will expand an URL of "gnomemeeting"
> to "gnomemeeting.com" then "gnomemeeting.net" and "gnomemeeting.org"..
> as all of them fail, it'll try with "www.gnomemeeting.com" .. etc. until
> "www.gnomemeeting.org" finally resolves.. the most probably URL handler
> for this is http:// and it's prepended..
>
> adapted to the gm syntax this would plot the URL guessing migras already
> pointed out..

I fully disagree with that... Expanding an URL with predefined suffixes
or prefixes is not the same as trying to fix an incorrect URL. Try to
fix incorrect URLs can only lead to incorrect behaviors. That's like for
compilers, the first compilers were trying to fix errors for you until
they noticed that it could lead to incorrect behavior of the generated
program. But well, it is only my opinion and it seems that the dialog
idea obsoletes that part of the discussion.

> about the Dialog-button it'd like to see it right or left to the URL-bar
> with a ">>" sign, making it not that large and thus destroying the
> layout..

I think that it is an excellent idea. I'll create a dialog for that with
simple cases:

[Remote host]
[Remote port]
[Remote user name]
[MCU room name]
[URL type]
[ILS server to use]
[Remote host is a] (Endpoint || MCU)
[X] Enable ILS lookup of email

I'm not sure it is intuitive.. There will be many empty fields.
Who has a better idea?
For example, if the user is using a gatekeeper, everything will be empty
except "Remote user name".
If the user is not using a gatekeeper, then some of them will try to put
a "Remote user name" in the field...

> although i'm not sure that'll be very intuitive.. but talking about
> auto-sensing of browsers.. we don't have a searchengine we could call..
> but maybe if i call "kilian" or due to the perm prefix "h323:kilian"..
> if this doesn't resolv.. how about an ILS search window opening and
> trying to resolve that into some whatsoever entry, which contains that
> part?

Overkill for me, for GM and for the server... If the user types kilian,
he is suppose to be registered to a gatekeeper. If he is not, then it
won't work. If kilian is a speed dial, then he adds to append '#' at the
end.

> moreover i guess the h323:mymother using the speed-dial is a very
> reasonable alternative.. as then the speed-dial would become an alias
> for the longer version, which makes sense imho, as adding an entry to
> DNS|/etc/hosts telling mymother=mymother.dyndns.org is just the same..

Right here.

> hmmm, i got a better idea.. who's the maintainer of that RFC? how about
> we not whine about a crappy RFC, but we include the RFC descussion where
> it's supposed to be.. maybe they even thought about obsoleting the "@"
> in front, but they didn't write that down yet ;)

Well I gave the URL above :)

--
Damien Sandras <dsandras seconix com>