Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] [Fwd: Re: URL bugs?]

Hi all,

/me has had no coffee yet.. but i'll try anyway.. (maybe some Uni lesson
is just as good)

Am Mon, 2003-06-02 um 11.35 schrieb Damien Sandras:
> Le lun 02/06/2003 à 11:25, Miguel Rodríguez a écrit :
> > That is the same as sayting that browsers have a "browsers url" because
> > they accept locations without the protocol part.
>
> Not at all. If you don't put the "http" part, it will add it for you,
> but it won't fix your URL for you if it thinks the URL is incorrect.
> That seems very illogical to me to transform an URL without a prefix
> into another URL with prefix h323: but modified...

well.. actually that's half true.. for mozilla/galeon/etc. and opera u
can enable url-guessing mode, which will expand an URL of "gnomemeeting"
to "gnomemeeting.com" then "gnomemeeting.net" and "gnomemeeting.org"..
as all of them fail, it'll try with "www.gnomemeeting.com" .. etc. until
"www.gnomemeeting.org" finally resolves.. the most probably URL handler
for this is http:// and it's prepended..

adapted to the gm syntax this would plot the URL guessing migras already
pointed out..

about the Dialog-button it'd like to see it right or left to the URL-bar
with a ">>" sign, making it not that large and thus destroying the
layout..

although i'm not sure that'll be very intuitive.. but talking about
auto-sensing of browsers.. we don't have a searchengine we could call..
but maybe if i call "kilian" or due to the perm prefix "h323:kilian"..
if this doesn't resolv.. how about an ILS search window opening and
trying to resolve that into some whatsoever entry, which contains that
part?

moreover i guess the h323:mymother using the speed-dial is a very
reasonable alternative.. as then the speed-dial would become an alias
for the longer version, which makes sense imho, as adding an entry to
DNS|/etc/hosts telling mymother=mymother.dyndns.org is just the same..

> Doing what you propose is just the same as defaulting to callto btw...
>
> > For instance, if you have a "mymother" entry in your addressbook, typing
> > "mymother" in the location bar should be enough for GM, and it should
> > try "h323:whatever".
>
> Right, that's speed dials, but that is different, it doesn't transform a
> broken H323 URL into a correct H323 URL. Of course I can slightly break
> the RFC and tell to people that in GM the "@" is optionnal in H323 URLs,
> but I don't like it even though it is a 1 line code change in GMURL.

hmmm, i got a better idea.. who's the maintainer of that RFC? how about
we not whine about a crappy RFC, but we include the RFC descussion where
it's supposed to be.. maybe they even thought about obsoleting the "@"
in front, but they didn't write that down yet ;)

> > > - the location bar always begins with "h323:" by default, so users are
> > > unlikely to delete the h323: part.
> > This has an obvious easy fix ;)
>

> If we do so, people will ignore GM supports callto and h323...

writing h323 does also obsolete the callto:// a bit.. at least it's not
being automatically shown inside gm anymore..

..well.. i'll get me some coffe now.. ;)

--
Best regards,
 Kilian