Re: Google ads on Gnome pages?

Hi :o)

On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 10:06 +0000, Ross Golder wrote:
> Quim Gil wrote:
> > Do we have an estimation of the money those ads could bring to the
> > GNOME Foundation? This is the essential question anybody asks about
> > advertisement plans. I might rectify if those ads turn to be a
> > remarkable source of income for the project.
> >

> He wasn't specific, but my impression was that Lars was asking whether
> individual projects could place the ads on the pages related to their
> project to generate funding for *their* project, not for the Foundation
> as a whole. Lars, please can you clarify?

I understood like this too, I think there are very different issues
between having adds on an individual project site and on a large
community site such as GNOME.

I believe for example that the FSF has a clear policy never to have ads
on it's websites, on order to show, and assure, of it's total
independence. I would personally find it strange to have adds on w.g.o,
as the site is trying to "sell" GNOME and not other peoples products. I
don't think MS/HP/SUN... have ads on their websites other than for them
and their close partners.

Love, Karderio.