Re: Google ads on Gnome pages?

Hi :o)

On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 00:21 +0100, Lars Clausen wrote:
> Hi Gnome-webbers,
>
> I'm the current maintainer of Dia, and we just (yay!) moved our webpages
> over to live.gnome.org.  During the process, somebody asked me why we
> didn't have Google ads on the Dia pages to get funding, and I could only
> say I hadn't thought of it and didn't know what the Gnome webpeople would
> think of it.  So:  What do you think of it?  I don't know if this is
> unspoken heresy or just hasn't been brought up yet, but I didn't want to
> add them without asking you first.

I asked RMS about this the other day. One major concern he brought up
was that the ads could be for non-free software or for hardware that
doesn't support free software. I'm not sure how to avoid this.

As far as I can tell, apart from this, it is in accordance with the
"spirit" of GPL, as the FSF encourages selling free software if this can
help fund it's development.

I can't at all speak for the GNOME webpeople, what they permit on their
web-servers is up to them, I suppose.

Love, Karderio.