Re: [wgo] XHTML1.0 Strict vs HTML 4.01

Ricky Zhou wrote:

Somebody *please* either start moving this debate forward or admit that
those points completely kill the case for XHTML (heh, I wish).

I'm sorry if I'm really missing the point, I don't have the life in me to read this whole thread and understand the root cause, but I think what Alex is getting at is that:

(a) Plone serves up very good markup (call it whatever you want) and we (mostly him, in fact) have spent an inordinate amount of time making sure it works well in various browsers

(b) If you want to change Plone significantly it will take a significant amount of time and debugging pain. Thus, it's inadvisable to do so unless there is a very good reason.

(c) Your users won't care about anything other than how the site looks and behaves in their browser. If (a) means it behaves well, then I'm sure you have a lot of more important things to do than (b).

As I said, I may have missed the point (and Alex may have as well), but this seems like a debate that doesn't need moving anywhere at all and that you have many, many more important things to address.

Martin