From: David Lodge <dave cirt net>
To: gnome-uk-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [Fwd: en_GB translation of "trash"]
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 20:57:02 +0100

On Tue, 25 May 2010 17:36:17 +0100, Marco Barisione
<marco www barisione org> wrote:
> Translations should be about translating software, not about improving
> the original strings. If you think that the metaphor is wrong you should
> get it fixed upstream and updated in all the translations.

That's pretty much the whole problem with Ubuntu's strange definition of
"Deleted Items"; they had a poll many years ago and decided to split from
upstream. I disagree with that choice and am happy that Gnome didn't
follow them. One important note about Ubuntu, is that the "en (British)"
team actually is "en (non-US)", as they decided not to fork the sub
divisions of English, so they're trying to find a term that'll fit
English, Austrailian English, Canadian English, Indian English etc.

I personally care not, I always disable and hide the wastebin (I'm of the
belief if that I tell the system to delete a file - it should delete it
without some pouncy thing getting in the way). I realise that not
everybody feels that way though.

My vote would be to use the graceful, high class and all-round charming
terminology that would follow my native Yorkshire dialect and call it the
Sh*tehole :-)