Re: [Fwd: en_GB translation of "trash"]

On 25 May 2010, at 16:47, Philip Withnall wrote:

> But the whole idea is to separate the concepts of "permanently deleting"
> and "temporarily deleting" (recycling/whatever you want to call it)
> something. The user may well understand the concept of permanent
> deletion, but is it wise to then re-use the term "deletion" when
> referring to recycling?

FWIW, I don't think "recycling" is particularly accurate either. I chuck rubbish in a recycling bin just like I chuck it in a rubbish bin, and I can take stuff back out of both types of bin before they're emptied that I've mistakenly thrown away.  The only thing that really determines whether a physical bin is a recycling bin is what the bloke who comes to empty it does with its contents.

(Yes, at some abstract level, you're recycling disk space, I suppose, but I doubt our users think about it like that.)

Cheeri,
Calum.

--
CALUM BENSON, Interaction Designer     Oracle Corporation, Ireland
mailto:calum benson oracle com         Solaris Desktop Team

Any opinions are personal and not necessarily those of Oracle Corp.