Re: [Fwd: en_GB translation of "trash"]

On Tue, 2010-05-25 at 16:31 +0100, Simon Brown wrote:
> At Tue, 25 May 2010 17:07:27 +0200,
> Etenil <etenil etenilsrealm nl> wrote:
> >
> > While waiting at the London city airport, I noticed the bins there have
> > "Litter Bin" written on the top.
> >
> > Otherwise, wastebasket seems OK to me. "deleted items folder" would be
> > way too long!!
> It's long, but I like it because it's precise. Recycling and Rubbish
> metaphors have always seemed convoluted to me.
>
> In my experience, deletion is well understood by computer
> users. Asking someone whether they wish to "move file to the
> watebasket" seems way too long to me :-)

And I guess you'll find us a metaphor with which to replace the "rubbish
bin", "wastebasket" or whatever waste-related icon we would be using.

The "Deleted Items" folder is also completely wrong, as we're not MacOS
9 (and to some extent Windows), and we don't have the ability to put
clippings (whenever you press Delete, and it's not a file, nothing
appears in the "Wastebasket") in there.

Rubbish bin was discussed in the past, but the reasons for moving to it
were not great enough. So we stuck with Wastebasket.