Re: [Fwd: en_GB translation of "trash"]

On Tue, 2010-05-25 at 16:31 +0100, Simon Brown wrote:
> At Tue, 25 May 2010 17:07:27 +0200,
> Etenil <etenil etenilsrealm nl> wrote:
> >
> > While waiting at the London city airport, I noticed the bins there have
> > "Litter Bin" written on the top.
> >
> > Otherwise, wastebasket seems OK to me. "deleted items folder" would be
> > way too long!!
> It's long, but I like it because it's precise. Recycling and Rubbish
> metaphors have always seemed convoluted to me.
>
> In my experience, deletion is well understood by computer
> users. Asking someone whether they wish to "move file to the
> watebasket" seems way too long to me :-)

But the whole idea is to separate the concepts of "permanently deleting"
and "temporarily deleting" (recycling/whatever you want to call it)
something. The user may well understand the concept of permanent
deletion, but is it wise to then re-use the term "deletion" when
referring to recycling?

Philip