Re: Divergences between ubuntu-l10n and gnome-i18n regarding en_GB

On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 09:17 +0100, Matthew Walton wrote:
> 1) Ubuntu have already had their own discussion and decided on Deleted
> Items. Which we all seem to think is wrong. Hmm.

Actually, I didn't - I thought it was better than the bin-oriented
metaphor. I think the translation problems are a direct result of the
original being a poor word.

I'm not sure /bin or /usr/bin is a huge problem; at least, even if there
is a confusion for a few users, they can't really do much damage.

My main issue with it is that I don't know any computer users who "bin"
files or "recycle" them or "trash" them or whatever. Everyone I know, of
all abilities, "delete" their files. And I remember when "Move to Trash"
appeared in the menu that it caught me out a lot of times: when I want
to delete a file, I don't think of "Move to X" - I'm not trying to move
the file.

(The question of what technically happens under the covers when I 'Move
to Trash'/'Delete a file' is completely separate, afaics).

"Deletion" also fits better with my apps (e.g., Evolution), and if the
interface is to become consistent (e.g., dragging an email to the "Bin"
or whatever actually deletes it) using the same term would aid
discoverability.

Personally, I think Ubuntu's change is an improvement over the other
terms that have been thrown about.

Cheers,

Alex.