Re: [gnome-love] Re: Re: anyone wanna help with gnome-backgrounds

On Sat, 2003-08-30 at 16:31, Ramzi Ferchichi wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-08-30 at 21:39, Rodney Dawes wrote:
>
> > > Currently you use the words "Background", "Wallpaper" and "Image" in the
> > > same dialog. The terminology must be clear and consistent. If i'm not
> > > mistaken the word "Wallpaper" refers to an image used as background
> > > therefore your use of "Wallpaper Colors" would suggest that the color
> > > scheme of the selected wallpaper/image could be changed. I think that
> > > this string should be changed to "Background Colors".
> > >
> > > The "Select a Random Image" string should be changed to "Select a Random
> > > Wallpaper" and the dialog also needs correct grouping. Meaning that the
> > > "Select a Random Wallpaper" should be moved up and be placed before the
> > > "Background Colors" thingie because it's related to the wallpaper
> > > settings and not the background colors.
> >
> > Done and Done. Go reload it. :)
> >
> > -- dobey
>
> I'm still not pleased ;)  First and foremost, there should be more space
> between "Wallpaper Background Colors" and everything above it. Right now
> it's very cluttered.

I am not going to get into a silly argument about spacing between
widgets. This is not the place for it.

> Secondly I don't like that you've changed the tab to "Wallpaper" because
> "Background" is more general and include both wallpaper and background
> color. The "Wallpaper Background Colors" string is also bad and should
> simply be "Background Colors". I motivate this as before with that the
> word "Wallpaper" refers to an image which is not the only case in this
> dialog. The user should be able to set only a background color and no
> wallpaper.

You'll have to not like it then. Background is more general, which
allows for more confusion, hence the use of "Wallpaper". The string is
not bad at all. I am not putting simply "Background Colors" in it. What
are the "Background Colors" for? It's confusing. No. It will either be
as it is, or it won't be, and will be moved to the "Appearance", such
as the Windows appearance properties dialog has. "Wallpaper" does not
refer to an image. "Wallpaper" refers to paper, that is stuck on one's
wall, via an adhesive. Many of them are solid colors. "Wallpaper" simply
refers to that which is shown at the resolution of your screen behind
all other windows, icons, and whatever else you may have. It is also
very probably that changing these colors will change the colors of the
selected wallpaper "image" provided that it has an alpha channel. See
previous comments about watermarks.

> Finally how should we handle when the user don't want a wallpaper,
> should we put a "None" entry at top of the "Available Wallpaper" list?

There will be a "No Wallpaper" selection at the top, with a thumbnail of
the currently selected colors and gradient model. It is just hard to put
something like that in a mockup.

-- dobey