Re: Re: anyone wanna help with gnome-backgrounds

On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 16:49, Jakub Steiner wrote:
> I'm rarely this negative, but none of the wallpapers you propose make a
> good example of what I'd like to see in gnome-backgrounds.

Dude, you've got a much better eye than I do, so your feedback and ideas
are much appreciated. I have not the artistic skill to come up with anything
very impressive, which means that I'm reliant on what people on these
lists can produce and a.g.o

> I think a gnome wallpaper should be
>       * simple. low contrast image is a must. anything gaining too much
>         attention fails as a wallpaper. You have to perfectly see the
>         items on your desktop.

Agreed - maybe some simple but well chosen tiles would work well.. would
also help keep the file size down. I'm think that I'll use
http://xsu.sourceforge.net/Screenshot-stripes.png as the default
background in 2.5 unless someone can come up with anything better.

>       * gnome branded. a gnome2 fancy button or the simple foot shape
>         should be part of the wallpaper

There is a nice translucent gnome foot in
gnome-desktop/pixmaps/gnome-background-image.png , but stuff like that
only works well with well chosen background colors. If we use something
like luca's design for a background chooser(attached) then we could
choose a set of default colors too.

> But these are quite bland (including the simple.png rip-off ;). I really
> like the single-color-toned abstract textures that osX ships with.

Never seen them i'm afraid...

> A nice compromise would be the stuff that garrett does with his macro
> photography. The field of depth makes most of the shot blurry, there are
> large single colored areas. check his stuff on http://linuxart.com. I
> would talk to him and discuss possibilities creating some wallpapers out
> of those images. Some of his stuff is insanely cool:
>
> http://linuxart.com/photoview.phtml?sid=03jun09-arboretum_dusk&iid=0609-185434
> http://linuxart.com/photoview.phtml?page=1&sid=03jun09-arboretum_dusk&iid=0609-184114
> http://linuxart.com/photoview.phtml?page=1&sid=03jun09-arboretum_dusk&iid=0609-184932

Yeah. these look dead sexy. If we could put together a few of these and
some nice patterns we'd be well set. Will take more work though..

--
Mark Finlay
Computer Science Student

E-Mail:	sisob_AT_tuxfamily_DOT_org