Re: Where can I find detailed extension API changes of gnome-shell

On 05/16/2015 12:38 PM, Narcis Garcia wrote:
About PPA:
OS distributions have central packages repository; PPA are useful as
third-party packages and alternatives.

PPAs makes easier to people for publishing software without some of the
difficulties there are in central repositories. This "main and secondary
places" allows projects to publish more updated packages than
distribution (central) provides itself.

tl;dr: A central repository is useful. If there is a central repository,
it should be reviewed.

An extension developer can already publish the extension elsewhere; the
user just needs to copy the files manually to
~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions. (Afaik other websites cannot use
the GNOME plug-in for easy installation, but I may be wrong.) Package
manager packages can be published to install the extension in a more
natural way.

However, if an ordinary user wants to try some extensions, the place to
go should be a central, integrated and easily accessible repository or
the user's default package manager repositories. Both need review from
GNOME or distribution maintainers. Users should not have to search the
web and download software from dubious places.

Now, I may not be the right person to comment on these issues since I
neither review nor currently use extensions. But I see Windows users
google for software they've heard about without thinking about whether
the place they download from is trustworthy. I don't want this to become
a habit of free software users as well.