Re: Where can I find detailed extension API changes of gnome-shell

On 05/16/2015 08:33 AM, Narcis Garcia wrote:> El 16/05/15 a les 07:51,
Florian Pelz ha escrit:
On 05/15/2015 09:07 AM, Narcis Garcia wrote:
How does Mozilla solve the third-party development of extensions to
manage the addition and updates in addons.mozilla.org ?

Is it really necessary to be a single website (the official) with the
only extensions repository? Similar to app.packages, how about the PPA
model apart of main/supported repositories?

[…]

I was suggesting both cases to give ideas around the problem of checking
all extensions and updates in extensions.gnome.org

Mozilla apparently has an add-on approval process where they check the
source code [1]. The way I understand it, they also have two categories
of add-ons; one reviewed and tested more cautiously and another category
where they just glance over the source code, but the browser will
display a warning when installing.

I don't see how PPAs solve the extension review problem. From a security
standpoint, users should not be encouraged to install third-party
software that has not been reviewed. Extensions seem to be an easy way
to spread malware if unreviewed. Besides, having a central extension
repository helps making extensions known.

[1] https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/AMO/Policy/Reviews