Re: Applications Compatibility

On Monday, 23 May, 2011 12:30 PM, jordan wrote:
hi Allen,

This is one I think is a valid concern,  I will also be using Multimedia
apps for recording and it looks like GNOME Shell is not the right _desktop_
_shell_ at this rate. I remember one poster here who complains, but with no
solution for the moment, and for sure he switch to another DE. So my
question is, how is GNOME shell was designed from the ground-up with
compatibility between applications especially for those 3D apps? Is this a
valid concern? I hope for 3.2 things will get easier.
I've had issues in with 3D acceleration, on my 2 desktop machines
(nvidia)... Some applications i use, recommend not using compositors
at all.... however, compiz plays quite nice and works, so i use it -
while gnome-shell is hit and miss. I also have issues with
screen-casting in gnome-shell - it causes weird visual distortions,
searching around youtube, they are some gnome-shell reviews that have
similar distortions...im sure it will all get worked out, eventually.
Thank you for your thoughts. It is expected, and I am thankful to the developers who do the hardwork.
That being said, i highly recommend investigating for yourself. You
should try Gnome-shell out and see how it works for you, your
workflow, and what you want/require out of your desktop... don't take
my word or anyone else's on the subject. I think this point is an
important one.
Yes, I should.
In general gnome 3 is pretty good, gnome-shell has integrated some
cool technologies, but for me it's just not ready though.
depending on how you use your machine, your applications, hardware,
etc - Gnome-shell might in fact be absolutely awesome, and work really
well.

so again, i would try it out - give yourself some time to get used to
it and see how it works for you.

jordan

Find Insurance on a car now!
http://click.lavabit.com/ox6t3dat1tcwjrfkm6b96ekywaj5hwh85yofi44a5h648qz8dmiy/