Re: Fwd: Instant Message notifications

Sure, not everybody has touch screens, mouse wheels or touchpads with
gestures, but...

- AFAIK the trigger area for the message tray is 1 pixel high.
Thus left and middle click on scroll bar should work ok as long as the
user doesn't slam into the very bottom.

- trouble seems to mostly arise when you have no status bar in the
maximized window, because that's when your arrow button falls in the
very corner.
By default editors such as gedit or libreoffice writer (where the
functionality of 1-line-height scrolling has more sense) actually do
show a status bar, or in the case of libreoffice writer even have
custom navigation widgets in that corner, above the status bar.

- Also, it's not like you can't reach the arrow button, if you really
need it... you just need a more careful positioning to use it. That's
the common case for users of Windows (where you have the task bar/
notification area) and Mac users (maximized windows aren't even a
common case, and the dock by default takes up quite a lot of bottom
screen space). Do Linux applications really rely that much on that
bottom right corner in a substantially different way, that it must be
slam-friendly when maximized?

- When you _really, really_ don't want any chrome to show, ever, I
think the correct behaviour would actually be to encourage fullscreen:
tap F11, work as you want without seeing anything of the shell unless
you willingly press the super key for overview or exit the fullscreen
mode.

I agree that the current jack-in.the-box behaviour of the message tray
is sometimes obnoxious. It's just that moving the hot corner to the
left doesn't solve the fundamental problem as soon as all four corners
have a function, which is something to hope for IMO.