Fwd: Instant Message notifications

That sounds like a very temporary solution.
What happens if the lower-left corner is needed as an active corner as
well, say to open a files/history/places left overlay column?
Corners are precious targets, should the shell lose one to a button of
questionable importance, the placement of which depends on the toolkit
theming and the window content?
After all, you can already left or middle click the scrollbar, drag
it, mousewheel it. On a touch screen there will be inertial scrolling
gestures, and for a11y the small arrow button is certainly not that
great...

What _is_ bad is the surprise/unexpected behaviour factor: the user
maximizes a window, slams the pointer to access the window UI and is
startled by the appearance of the tray. Geesh, I know about the tray
and it happens to me quite often...
The way I see it, there should be a small black, faded overlay in the
corner, where the count of unseen notifications goes, if any. Thus the
user wouldn't be surprised by the opening of the tray and wouldn't
slam the pointer to access any ui elements of a maximized window.

--
    Elia