Re: Instant Message notifications

What about a very small reminder in the bottom-right corner, a simple
small number counter that tells me how many transient notifications
were shown and hidden without interaction since the last time I opened
the message tray? As soon as I open the message tray it's reset and
disappears - until it's >0 again.
That
- doesn't sound too distracting to me
- educates the new user on the fact that the bottom right corner is
actually active and contains some information
- tells me if I have to open the message tray when I am distracted
from the system screen for reasons that that system itself can't know
(I've turned to speak to a co-worker, instead of locking the screen)

Of course, it only works with applications that actually use the
notification system correctly, not with legacy tray notifications just
changing their status icon... but those applications should be fixed
anyway.