Re: on suspend

On Wed, May 04, 2011 at 09:40:08AM -0400, Jesse Hutton wrote:
> Suspend being broken on various hardware is just a fact of life. Send
> complaints to hardware manufacturers.

and that is what we want to change.

At the moment it is a chicken+egg situation. Nobody relies on suspend,
so no incentive to fix it.

> Are Gnome Shell hackers responsible for fixing suspend bugs? Given that the
> standard response seems to be "please report the bug to your distro," it
> seems no. And, while it may end up making suspend work better in the long
> run, it does not create the best experience for users now.

If suspend does not work:
1. The hardware/kernel/whatever should not advertise it as such
   I've already outlined a way to detect such cases and override it
2. The bug *has* to be reported and get fixed

Suspend is basically a repeat of:
- NetworkManager
- PulseAudio

--