Re: on suspend

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 2:31 AM, Olav Vitters <olav vitters nl> wrote:
On Mon, May 02, 2011 at 03:09:38PM -0400, Jesse Hutton wrote:
> Suspend works great for me on my laptop. On my desktop, however, my graphics
> card (FireGL 5200) fan spins up to high speed on resume (as it does briefly
> while booting  the system) and never slows down to normal speed. So, I have
> to reboot anyway to quiet the fan down.

Could you file a bug with your distribution regarding this?

> Only presenting 'Suspend' seems like a bizarre UI choice, given that it does
> not "just work" across all systems that Gnome Shell is targeting.

It will only show Suspend if the system says it supports suspend. System
should detect suspend doesn't work and not advertise the ability to
suspend.

IMO menu should still stay poweroff as you could just close the lid for
suspend.. but doesn't matter for the argument: system (kernel or
whatever) should not advertise suspend if it doesn't work

For me suspend works.. I can successfully suspend..  It's coming out of suspend that cause a problem.  In which case, even though suspend work, re-animation is broken.  So it needs to detect both parts.  For me I think it's some kind of problem with my disk (SSD) and not the usual graphics driver.

sri