Re: Some small ideas for the Shell Panel and Overview

On Sat, 2011-04-09 at 19:59 +0200, Florian Müllner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 2011-04-09 at 10:44 -0500, Marshall Neill wrote:
> > Right-handed people would seem to look to the right and moving the mouse
> > to the right is easier.
>
> This sounds rather surprising to me - are there any studies related to
> this? With regards to movement: If I recall Fitts' law correctly, for
> right-handed people the top-left corner makes a slightly easier target
> than the top-right (though in practice each corner is just fine).

Yup, seems so:

"A right-handed user can access, in order of increasing difficulty, and
starting with the point already mentioned:

   a. The pixel immediately at the current cursor location: Click the
mouse and you're done.

   b. The bottom-right corner.
   c. The top-left corner.
   d. The top-right corner.
   e. The bottom-left corner. "

From: <http://www.asktog.com/columns/022DesignedToGiveFitts.html>

However, it also depends on the angle at which user's hand is actually
holding the mouse. Usually, people are at a desk and have the mouse
right next to the keyboard, and the above would be fine.
But if the user's hand is not at that angle, then angle of ease for
movement would vary.

--
Cheers,
Vish