Re: Idea: having a hotkey, dialog box for searching apps?

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 11:15 AM, G. Michael Carter <mikey carterfamily ca> wrote:
Maybe so but doesn't change the fact that I'm watching that video.    What happens to the video when I go to the overview page, especially with a lot of apps open?

I guess I kinda got my answer.  Gnome 3 isn't going to make it easy, best solution is docky or other launcher app so I can watch that video and open an app without taking my attention away from the video.

Thanks anyways.

I'm not giving up gnome-do regardless.  I find gnome-do more efficient when I'm launching apps in the same workspace.  Eg more terminals, a quick browser.  I use the overview when I want to start a new task in another workspace.  gnome-do works beautifully for the first scenario.  Sometimes, the elegant solution is to use gnome-do or some other utility.  Unless of course you believe this might be difficult for your wife?

That said, five seconds sounds way too slow for going to the overview, running gedit and coming back.  That's worthy of putting in a bug and then running through some debugging to find out why that is.  I have never taken that long to do that.  As for the video portion you should still be able to watch the video even in overview mode for the second it takes to launch gedit.

sri

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 2:02 PM, Florian Müllner <fmuellner gnome org> wrote:
On Sat, 2011-04-09 at 13:56 -0400, G. Michael Carter wrote:

> On my system with video playing and after the system has been running
> for a while it takes about 5 seconds...

That is a bug which needs fixing, not workarounds in the interface.

Florian