Re: Some small ideas for the Shell Panel and Overview

Hi,

On Sat, 2011-04-09 at 10:44 -0500, Marshall Neill wrote:
> Right-handed people would seem to look to the right and moving the mouse
> to the right is easier.

This sounds rather surprising to me - are there any studies related to
this? With regards to movement: If I recall Fitts' law correctly, for
right-handed people the top-left corner makes a slightly easier target
than the top-right (though in practice each corner is just fine). And
for looking I would assume that handedness plays a very minor role in
comparison to reading direction (which is why the interface is indeed
mirrored for Hebrew/Arab locales) ...

> To carry the theme even further at install time, you could display sizes
> of icons on the panel.  Let them choose smaller, larger, whatever.

I won't comment on your suggestion for nag dialogues at install time (no
offense ;-)), but the "Universal Access" panel has a setting for text
size ("small", "normal", "large", "larger"), which the size of icons in
the top bar is tied to ...

Florian