Re: Netbook experience

2011/4/9 Onyeibo Oku <twohotis gmail com>
On Sat, 2011-04-09 at 11:01 +0200, Mirek M. wrote:
> Because Gnome 3 features bigger UI elements than Gnome 2, Gnome Shell
> is unfit for small screens. A number of windows can't even fit on the
> screen, and, unless you know that you can move a window using
> "Alt" (which most users don't know), you're out of luck...

You do have a point there but you could alleviate your problem by
tweaking the font sizes and GTK/CSS padding on the UI elements. I'm
using a 17" laptop and my font sizes look much smaller than yours.  Aim
at 8-9pts for your fonts, and maybe 10pts for title-bars.   With
dconf-editor or Gnome-tweak-tool you can ease your pain a bit. There is
no *easy* way of achieving 100% fine-tuning yet ... so be patient, or
dive into the CSS files I mentioned (if you can) -- and I hope I'm
correct as I haven't tried that.

Thanks. I'll take a look at those solutions once I install Fedora 15 (I plan on switching from Ubuntu to Fedora once version 15 comes out). BTW, is there an option to decrease the toolbar margins (that's probably the thing that bothers me most)?

It'd be great if Gnome could make margins and fonts slightly smaller (just to the sizes that the default Gnome 2 theme uses) when it detects a small screen resolution. This would only be a temporary fix until true resolution independence arrives.