Re: GNOME 3 from Fedora user's perpective - request for changes

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 12:46 PM, Aniruddha <mailingdotlist gmail com> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 9:39 PM, Mark Curtis <merkinman hotmail com> wrote:

>> I tried it and it just doesn't work for me. Now I need to take 3 steps
>> for basic tasks that needed 2 step before. When I want to start an
>> application I need to go to the activities , click on programs and
>> select the program I want to launch (3 clicks). Or remember the name
>> of each program I have installed and search for it. With Gnome2 I go
>> I look up my application via the Gnome menu (2 clicks).
>
> How is it only 2 clicks?
> applications/places/system > category > application
> that's three clicks

I don't click in the Gnome  menu. I've forgotten something, the
applications I use the most are 1 click, I've added them to my panel
next to my Gnome menu, these are two clicks with Gnome 3.

Aniruddha,

What exactly are you doing in your tasks?  There is a shortcut dash on the overview, so you can do things with one click.  Even with GNOME 2, you had to search for the apps in the main menu.  Your claim of taking longer doesn't quite ring true.  If you have applications that you use frequently then put them on the dash, eg right click on an application and add it to the favorites.

I admit there some kind of visual cue to show which apps in the dash are already running would be helpful.  But really, it's not that much of a change in the workflow.  Of course short cuts will be available as shell matures.  Software development is not static, it continues to evolve just like it did in GNOME 2.  It took GNOME 2 about a year or so to evolve into something that looked well put together and integrated.

sri