Re: GNOME 3 from Fedora user's perpective - request for changes

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 10:27 PM, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me> wrote:
> What exactly are you doing in your tasks?  There is a shortcut dash on the
> overview, so you can do things with one click.  Even with GNOME 2, you had
> to search for the apps in the main menu.  Your claim of taking longer
> doesn't quite ring true.  If you have applications that you use frequently
> then put them on the dash, eg right click on an application and add it to
> the favorites.
>
> I admit there some kind of visual cue to show which apps in the dash are
> already running would be helpful.  But really, it's not that much of a
> change in the workflow.  Of course short cuts will be available as shell
> matures.  Software development is not static, it continues to evolve just
> like it did in GNOME 2.  It took GNOME 2 about a year or so to evolve into
> something that looked well put together and integrated.
>
> sri

Example.

Watch youtube video and start rss reader/  Thunderbird etc. Now I only
have to click the icon lower left corner and this doesn't interrupt me
from what I am doing (watching youtube). With activities I have to
interrupt what I was doing, which happened a lot of times when I used
Gnome shell, I find this quit distracting. Furthermore I always have a
lot of application running at the same time. At the moment  I have a
good overview of my running applications in the task bar and can
switch applications with 1 mouse click, browsing with alt-tab has been
available for as long as I can remember, I never used it because I
found it more time consuming to search for my applications with this
function. The activity again distract me from what I was doing and it
is more time consuming for me to use activity to search for my running
applications.