Re: GNOME 3 from Fedora user's perpective - request for changes

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 9:31 AM, JB <jb 1234abcd gmail com> wrote:
Sriram Ramkrishna <sri@...> writes:

Well, as I said I had read Fedora users comments on GNOME 3 subject and they
were mixed, even from long time GNOME users.
I tested it few days ago and I started switching between open apps' windows and
that hidden underneath them menu system.
And I realized that there is a functional problem with it, making life harder
for me, and what about "regular" users ?

Sure, and that's not unexpected.  People deal with change in different ways.  But if you want to innovate you have to break old methods.  Try it for a week.  Don't base your opinions on what others are saying, see it for yourself. Kick the tires and take it for a spin.  Jason Clinton has some nice videos up on some of the new features in GNOME 3.  Look in the GNOME youtube channel.

Let's hope that GNOME 3 devs and users make some improvements, either directly
(preferably) or thru extensions.

The nice thing with change is that you can pursue avenues the old way wouldn't allow in a user friendly way.  I think you'll see that with extensions and new features in the next spin.

> But going anywhere else is not an option.

Let's hope. There are season users who are concerned, also about their users
base they serve.

They should have a "watch and see" approach and see how it goes.  That's how I approach things and I administrate a fairly large linux enterprise environment.

sri