Re: Suggestion: Make a dock from application icons in overview

Le vendredi 03 décembre 2010 à 14:09 +0100, Stefano Facchini a écrit :
> > I can guarantee you that speed and smoothness of the zoom out effect
> > really makes a difference. In the current git version, the Shell has a
> > much better performance than in versions from a few weeks ago, and it
> > really changes the way you use the overview.
> I am using the current git version but the exposé effect is still much
> less smoother than compiz, even using the new "natural" compiz effect
> (which is more cpu-consuming). Sorry for the naiveté, but why not just
> copying that part of compiz code?
Because the Shell is written on completely different grounds than Compiz.
It's using Mutter, which in turn is based on Clutter. Clutter is a general
purpose animation toolkit, so there is a stronger effort to improve its
performances than any window manager alone could get. Compiz OTOH might
have developed efficient ways of doing what it needs to do, but it
doesn't benefit from the expertise and work of developers from different
projects.

In the long run, it's better for everybody to have a common animation
toolkit that works well. Just consider the recent performance
improvements to measure how far we can get.

Cheers