Re: Common music database?

On 4/18/06, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri aracnet com> wrote:
> Cool.  I will take a look at it.  The project seems similiar to
> mpd which in fact has a gnome frontend that looks very similar
MPD and XMMS2 development started about the same time iirc, and the
two projects didn't know about eachother until a year later. Otherwise
it would probably have been one project instead.

> to rhythmbox.  I've been looking for a music player that would steam
> music to work but have been unable to find one.
There are efforts of writing a xmms2 client that shares music
(discussions with one of the daap projects, don't remember which)
based on what's inside the xmms2 medialibrary. This will naturally
support smart playlists and collections once that has been implemented
in the daemon.

> That's why I wanted a common music db in order to create shoutcast
> playlists or whatever from the database.  Nobody has reached that level
> of sophistication yet.  I mean, it's something cool to be able to turn
> your music db into a home based radio with many channels so that different
> rooms could have different music.  :-)
With XMMS2 you can do _exactly_ that. Well, you'd be running multiple
daemons, but it's easy for a client to handle multiple connections.

> Anyways, I will hold off on questions (and probably mail you
> privately since it's probably offtopic)
Depends on how you look at it.

Just a quick response on irc to the thread:
[15:58:37][tru]: no, that they are talking about what xmms2 is already :P

But ok, I'm not going to discuss XMMS2 here any longer as it is also a
player and not just a medialibrary.

--
Daniel Svensson, <daniel nittionio nu>