Re: Common music database?

On 4/18/06, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri aracnet com> wrote:
> I would be happy to try out anything. :-)  I'm confused is
> xxms2 == bmpx or we're talking about something else altogether?
Not at all. XMMS2 has nothing to do with BMP or BMPx, it's the second
generation of the old and trustworthy XMMS. Initially written by Peter
Alm, the original author of XMMS, and now led by Tobias Rundström and
Anders Gustafsson. It's a music player daemon set out to do the right
thing. It does not share a single line of code with the old XMMS music
player. It has a medialib similar to that of banshee/rhythmbox.
However in the next months(sooner than later) a new way of thinking
about the medialibrary/playlist will be implemented, not seen in any
other application yet. It is capable of gapless playback. As it is a
daemon it doesn't depend on X running, thus allowing it to be used in
a wide variety of scenarios. Everything from webfrontends, bluetooth
clients, kde or gnome applications to ncurses. It runs on Linux, BSD
and OS X. A Windows port is in the works.

A front end uses the libxmmsclient to connect to the daemon. A front
end called a client and is very much like our old irl remote controls,
but with all the powers of modern music player interfaces.
Communication can be either sync or async depending on application.
The clientlibrary supports querying the medialibrary and controlling
playlist and playback aswell as config variables. There are language
bindings for the client library written for python, ruby, perl, lisp,
java, and additional bindings are easily written.

xmms2 project focuses on creating a good music player core for both
power users and others, and leaves the gui building to people who are
good at that. The development has been going on for a long time and
has some time left until the set out goals has been accomplished. It
is in active development and well focused on its goals.

This description is just the tip of the iceberg, so go and browse the
wiki instead.

The wiki can be found at:
http://wiki.xmms2.xmms.se
Interesting parts to read are: Read me first, faq, collections, developer ideas

Source code can be found at:
http://git.xmms.se/?p=xmms2-devel.git;a=summary

Tutorial on how to write clients in diffrent languages can be found at:
http://git.xmms.se/?p=xmms2-tutorial.git;a=summary

The project is found on irc.freenode.net in the #xmms2 channel.

--
Daniel Svensson, <daniel nittionio nu>