Re: Common music database?

On Tue, 2006-04-18 at 14:58 +0100, Jamie McCracken wrote:
> Tracker is significantly different from Beagle. Beagle AFAIK is just an
> indexer whereas Tracker is a combination Database/Indexer (the embedded
> mysql also being a combo database/indexer).

This is the case right now, although the goal for Beagle has also been
to act as metadata storage.

These days, though, I'm not sure that's really the right way to go.
Ideally you'd associate metadata with the file itself (probably via
extended attributes) if you can.  External projects like Leaftag make me
increasingly think that the indexer isn't the right place to be storing
metadata, simply that it should pull it from external sources.

That doesn't mean that I couldn't be convinced otherwise, of course. :)

Joe