Re: Some things I think GNOME should improve

On Thu, 2013-04-11 at 13:35 +0200, Les Paul wrote:
2013/4/11 Marco Scannadinari <marco scannadinari co uk>:
I really don't think that someone would want to use two minutes finding
help in an incredibly unintuative location
Marco Scannadinari <marco scannadinari co uk>
Why to look for help on an application called "Help" is unintuitive?

Because that is not how it has been done for decades.  And a survey of
my screen shows that all non-trivial applications actually have it right
there in the Menu as a discrete option.

And why it is intuitive that it is located on the title bar?

That is where the application 'global' menu is.  Personally I have
doubts how intuitive the AppMenu itself is;  that one really feels to me
like solution-in-search-of-a-problem, but whatever.  You show a user
hey-there-is-a-menu-located-waaaaaaaay-over-here, they say "huh, ok",
life goes on.

I spend much more than two minutes closing Nautilus.

?????

Maybe in a week, maybe in a month. If each time I need two seconds to do it,

TWO SECONDS??? What?

I am suggesting that I think it would be a Desktop Environment good
for most users. And you can't leave out the fact that most users don't
use that options. And those who do, won't have any problem finding the
new placement.

You should consider joining the GNOME design team;  that would be the
useful place have this discussion.

Just imagine that you buy a new car. But, before you start it, you
have to push a button which asks you something that just few people
use before starting the car. And most of the time they even don't use
it! This has any kind of logic to you?

False analogy again, a computer is not a car.  Just stop with the
"imagine that" analogies.  Desktop interaction can be discussed as
desktop interaction, that is what it is, it is not something else.
Analogies just confuse and ambiguate.

And where help is doesn't obstruct doing anything;  I do not have to
find-Help-then-work.  I work, and find Help if I need it.

And I do have to answer a question ever time I sit down at my computer:
username+credentials, or at least credentials [if the screen is locked].