Re: Gnome 3 and computer shut down

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 01:31:43PM +0100, Rowland Penny wrote:
> As I said earlier, I only found out that Gnome 3 was coming when it
> was well into development. The developers should have firstly looked
> at Gnome 2 and asked what is wrong with it, what do users what/need
> and then come up with a draft design and thrown it open for
> discussion. If this happened I never found it mentioned anywhere.

Very generally speaking, that was done. But there are important
differences:
 - the developers work mostly according to what the designers
   made/decided
 - "open for discussion": it was, but they also did usability testing
   however: in reality only a limited number of people will give/be
   requested feedback
   that's why the sampling should be good enough
 - there have been many news articles about upcoming GNOME 3
 - there have been various live USB images to try out GNOME 3
 - people made an gnome3.org website to get the word out
 - loads of blog posts about GNOME3

But to note: release-team has a restricted role in this: It is there to
ensure releases happen, but we're not there to design/develop GNOME.

> In my opinion Gnome 3 as standard is not fit for purpose as a
> desktop for general use, I tried to use it, found that things that I
> have taken for granted were seemingly not there or if they were
> there I had to click the mouse several times and move all over the
> screen, and you call this progress, I call it a mess.

That's is why you can also use the keyboard. I don't find counting mouse
clicks too useful though. Things are a bit more gradual than that.

> I had to spend several hours on google to get a semi working desktop
> but I am still not happy and will probably have to invest more time
> to put right what the developers have messed up.

GNOME 3 works totally differently than anything before. So it takes time
to get used to. It also is not for everyone. GNOME 2 didn't cause many
strong feelings, more or less ambivalence. GNOME 3 is either hated or
loved.

Note that if you want things to change, suggest to refrain from using
phrases like "messed up". More likely to be ignored that way.

--
Regards,
Olav