Re: Gnome 3 and computer shut down

On 20/06/11 12:26, Olav Vitters wrote:
On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 07:08:14AM -0400, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
had.  It seems we are going to have to wait until at least gnome 3.2 to
get those applets back.  That's when it should have been called gnome
3.0, again, IMHO.
Applets are only available in fallback mode. Some weren't ready for 3.0,
but that wasn't a blocker for 3.0; main focus for 3.0 is GNOME shell,
not fallback mode.
It would've been really nice to have gnome-applets ported, but there
just was not enough time and everything else was good enough.
Ok I can understand that
Having the exact same features while the focus is different also is
unrealistic. GNOME shell has a different design goal in mind.
Yes it seems to be aimed at touchscreens, totally useless for a desktop/laptop computer
You can
disagree with that, but release wise there is nothing wrong with how 3.0
was handled.
You are quite right I do disagree. In my opinion there is plenty wrong with the way it was handled.
This from a/my release-team perspective.

Not talking about the direction of GNOME or how GNOME shell is designed
btw. I can see there is some disagreement about that :P
I can see that you are a master of understatements.

believed to be clean.