Re: Get nautilus OFF OF MY SYSTEM!!!

On Tue, May 08, 2001 at 11:51:29AM -0400, Ben FrantzDale wrote:

> I understand where you are coming from. In general it is very broken for
> an app to assume that a certain desktop is being run. However when it
> comes to having Gnucash require gnome-core so it can use gnome-calendar,
> I don't see a problem. Sure it means that if you want just Gnucash you
> are going to use a lot of disk space for no reason. But in order to have
> a set of applications that look and feel alike, they will need to share
> components as much as possible. (I hope you arn't implying that the
> Gnucash developers should have avoided code-reuse and created their own
> calendar widget.)

    In this case, no, I'm not implying that. I'm suggesting that developers
should always use the minimum dependencies, coupled with development time. The
calendar widget is very complicated, so reimplementation would not be a good
idea. However, I don't want to see developers linking against the gnome
libraries because they think it's cool, unless they provide a no gnome
version.
    Example: I'm a big fan of Vim. Vim can make use of many widget sets, from
the bare minimum, to the average of Motif, up to Gtk+ for the coolest look. I
believe there's a Qt version in the works too. So, if I already have Gtk+
installed, it doesn't hurt me to get the Gtk+ linked version. However, I
should not be required to unless Gtk+ provides something absolutely essential.
If it's a bunch of buttons, scrollbars, etc., Gtk+ is not necessary.
    I just believe that you should provide options, within reason. Options are
the point of Linux. That and no blue-screen. :)

    Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier, TD12, SKY  Tel: 613-765-4699 (ESN: 39-54699)
Optical Networks, Nortel Networks, SDE Pegasus