Re: First impressions - USER report

>> Use B3 on the mouse to bring up a menu for any panel applet.  I
>> found this intuitive.  Why didn't you?

Dale> As an OS/2 user, it should for me, too. But nothing else on
Dale> Linux has worked that way, so I didn't expect. I just tried it
Dale> on the panel and on Gnome mines, and it didn't work either
Dale> place.

Yeah.  Actually, netscape has B3 do something over links.  So it isn't
entirely unfamiliar even on Linux.

If you can suggest something clearer, I'm all ears.

Ultimately, though, I think some things are always a matter for
documentation and training.  No program is really "intuitive" in an
absolute sense.  I remember being completely bewildered the first time
I sat down at a Mac (I had never seen a mouse before -- this was a
long time ago).  But a friend gave me a 10 minute "Intro to the Mac"
talk.  What he taught me is basically everything you'd ever need to
know to operate a Mac.

This is what we should aim for.  Probably the idea that "there is
often a menu on B3" should just be part of the intro.

>> The panel automatically saves its state.  You shouldn't have to do
>> anything.

Dale> Not for me. The panel always starts with one foot on the left
Dale> and the calendar. This past time there's a picture of a folder
Dale> to the right of it, but it doesn't start gmc, just a smaller
Dale> menu.

Interesting.  I wonder why it works for me and not for you.

Perhaps the panel saves its state only when you exit it.  How do you
exit?  I choose logout from the menu.  Maybe if you exit by just
shutting down X, it will fail?  This is pure speculation.

Try playing with it a bit.  You'll know when it works because it will
make the file ~/.gnome/panel.  This file holds the state.

Tom