First impressions - USER report

I know GNOME is still in development phase, and I'm not a developer
(partly
condition of employment, partly time, etc...) But I'm interested, and
you
really don't want to get toooo far before hearing some user feedback, do
you?
One of the worst things that happens at work is when developers gather
"reqirements", go off and program for a year, and suddenly give us
something
that is nothing like what we wanted.

So I'm use both Linux and OS/2, and am hoping to see GNOME bring the
Linux
UI up to something like the usability of the WPS.

I picked up the RPMs last Thursday night and installed them.

First off, I know GNOME doesn't force a window manager, but it sure
would
be nice if there were a 'suggested' one, perhaps preconfigured to work
with
it. I'm presuming an evolution of either scwm or Enlightenment would fit
in
here, though I've also seen mention of icewm. I used icewm under RH4.2,
but
have stayed with the default under RH5, so far.

Second, any idea when I won't have to choose between GNOME and GIMP? I
don't
really need GIMP, but I'm not fond of having part of my system broken,
and I
don't know how it will affect any other gtk stuff I may find.

Third, I wish for a tree view, also. In another discussion thread,
someone
mentioned that the WPS wasn't good for heavy-duty file management. But
that's
also a developer's point of view, not a users. I agree that the WPS
isn't
good for heavy-duty use, but it's VERY good at light-duty file
management.
(better/faster/simpler for simple jobs than GMC)

Fourth, things seem a tad slow. I hope this is because of debug code and
not
because of the basic CORBA approach. Perhaps MICO needs some tuning?

Dale Pontius