Re: GIMP update

Ah! here is the mailing thread I was looking for.

We had this same conversation in the past and gogo explained us his reasons. You can read it here:

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-i18n/2019-September/msg00095.html

Don't if now it's the same case, but at least this gives us more light about it.

I won't drop mu opinion about it, just read and take your own conclusions

El vie., 29 may. 2020 a las 10:24, Daniel Mustieles García (<daniel mustieles gmail com>) escribió:

El vie., 29 may. 2020 a las 1:01, Milo (<mivir milotype de>) escribió:

> 28.05.2020., u 09:33, Daniel Mustieles García <daniel mustieles gmail com> je napisao:
> So here is the root of the problem :-)
> You don't agree your team coordinator's criteria about translationsand ask us to override him.
No, the root of the problem is the ignorance of the coordinator to respond/react whatsoever. Most of my translations – no matter if revised or completely new ones – have never been reviewed/commented or whatever. Please do take a look at my list of translations at https://l10n.gnome.org/users/milotype/ … none of them have ever seen the day of light!

> Let me explain how this works with an example. In Spanish we have two options to translate the word "Folder": "Directorio" and "Carpeta". Log time ago we decided to use "Carpeta" instead of "Directorio". Some translators might not like this option, but since there is a team coordinator that has decided to use it, there is no more discussion about it. This is an internal decision we took in our team an i18n cannot interfere on it.
Specific wording is NOT the main problem in this issue … but having coordinators who acknowledge better translations would be a much appreciated "feature". As probably everyone knows, language is not static – and not every translator knows the correct translation for specific terms. As an contra-example to Daniel's example: Gogo's translation for "Font" is "Slovo", which simply means a letter (alphabetic character). But the term "font" is a completely legitimate modern typographic term in Croatian (I am a typographer myself!).

Agree with you, but it's his decision... we cannot interfere in this questions.

In one of his response to my proposed change was:
"… ali zbog dosljednosti se prevodi tako, zato jer je glupo sad prepravljati na desetke aplikacija i zajedničkih GNOME biblioteka koje imaju po par stotina tisuća izraza prijevoda.
Zato da je sve ujednačeno a ne po pet naziva za istu riječ/radnju, to je zbunjujuće za GNOME korisnike posebno nove."

Basically saying the following:
"… but for the sake of consistency we translates it that way, because it's stupid now to redo dozens of applications and common GNOME libraries that have a few hundred thousand translation terms each.
Just to keep it all the same and not have five names for the same word/action, as it's confusing for GNOME users, especially new ones."

THAT IS a very poor approach to translating!

> Also, i18n cannot decide whether a translator is valid or not: it depends on your team coordinator (basically because we don't know your team's policy and most of us don't speak Croatian ;-) )
So what is the procedure to become a Commiter/Coordinator?

In one word: meritocracy. Unless you create a new translation team or current coordinator in missing for a long time, is your team's leader who can promote you to prrofreader, commiter or even coordinator.

> If your team coordinator wants to use Ubuntu's terminology for Orca it's his own decision: it might be wrong or not, but i18n cannot say which option is correct. If you don't agree with it yuo have two options: assume it won't change and follow that policy or leave the project. Sorry if it sounds too hard, but it's what I think (and what I would do in your situation).
No offense, but that is a very poor approach, as mentioned above.

No, it isn't. This is not a democracy. Think about Linux kernel's development. I disagree with the way a part of the kernel is being developed. Linus Torvarlds doesn't take into account my proposals nor answers my emails. Should I propose override him and take myself his current role? Think about it, it's the same case.

> We could help you only if your coordinator was missing for a long time. His las commit in Gitlab was 2 months ago... ok, he won't be in top 10 contributors ranking but at leas is not completely missing :-).
He is not missing … but he simply does not the job he's supposed to do as coordinator:
see paragraph "Being Responsive to Contributors" at https://wiki.gnome.org/TranslationProject/TeamCoordinatorResponsibilities

Again, we only see one side of the problem. We'd like to hear gogo's version about this problem. I have not background about previous conversations between gogo and you.

@gogo gogić could you please give us your point of view about this?

Regards