Re: l10n for clutter

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 3:40 PM, Tao Wang <dancefire gmail com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 9:39 PM, Dimitris Glezos <glezos indifex com> wrote:
>>
>> You can define per-project teams in two different ways. A project like
>> Clutter can either:
>>
>>  1. Have its translation teams with team leaders, join requests and
>> approvals.
>>  2. Re-use the teams of another project on Transifex.net. This is
>> done, for example, by MeeGo: all MeeGo sub-projects re-use the
>> translation teams of the main MeeGo project:
>>
>>  http://meego.transifex.net/projects/p/meego/teams/
>>

> It's a little bit off topic of the list, but frankly speaking, I really
> don't like the way of Transifex.net, I mean, for each language, there is one
> team of the language for every project.
>
> That is annoy for both translators and project maintainers. For translators
> they have to request to join the translation for each project. And for the
> project maintainers, they don't automatically get the translation teams for
> all languages as l10n.gnome.org does, they have to assign/approval for each
> language.
>
> As a translator on l10.gnome.org, it's quite easy for me to have a general
> idea which project needs more translation, and it's free for me to pick one
> and translate it. It's not to request to the maintainer for the translation.
> I don't think the project maintainer should worry too much about the quality
> in this way, since there are team coordinators who will review every
> translation before they commit. And the team is not specific for any
> project, that is, the team have successfully translate maybe hundreds of
> projects. Based on the experience, it's trustful for any new project. At
> least it's better than project maintainer manually pick someone he don't
> know, and maybe he/she is just the first one request for translation for the
> project.
>
> I love doing translation on l10n.gnome.org. The only problem is missing
> connection to external repositories, which is better at Transifex.net. They
> create accounts on sourceforge/github etc, so to allow the project hosting
> on Transifex.net for translation, the only thing need to do is add the
> specific user, someone like 'transifex', to the project as developer. That
> is, it's possible to commit the translation directly to the repository.

Tao, I think you're 100% right that certain projects and translators
would prefer having a more "global" system of translation teams.
That's why projects such as GNOME, Fedora and others have such a
strong L10n community. These were the communities we had in mind when
adding the support for "Project Team Re-using/Outsourcing", giving the
choice to developers to choose this model. Additionally, for some
other upstream projects, having an upstream team might make more
sense.

There are a whole multitude of ways to make l10n.gnome.org and
Transifex.net talk together, should we want something like this. I'm
positive that the project owners will be thrilled to know they have
more people to contribute to their projects.

-d

--
Dimitris Glezos