Re: l10n for clutter

On Mon, 2010-07-19 at 11:03 +0200, Kenneth Nielsen wrote:
> 2010/7/15 Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com>:
> > hi everyone;
> >
> > Clutter[0] has some strings that might end up being displayed in a GUI
> > application - most notably, error strings - just like GLib and GTK+.
> > also, like GLib and GTK+, Clutter's classes properties can be used by UI
> > building tools, so they should be localized as well.
> >
> > since Clutter is not hosted on gnome.org, I set up a Clutter project
> > page on Transifex[1] to incorporate eventual translations.
> >
> > the amount of strings is in the same ballpark figure as GLib (~400).
>
> Currently I can only see 22 strings in the master branch in Transifex.
> Am I doing it wrong or are there in fact only 22 at the moment?

no. apparently, transifex does not handle custom prefixes for
translatable strings - and Clutter uses the P_() prefix to distinguish
between strings and properties (like gtk+ and glib do) - in case we
decide to switch to a different gettext domain for properties, to avoid
overloading the default one.

> Being a GNOME guy myself, I would of course prefer it to be hosted in
> GNOME as well, mostly because there I know how to handle acces
> restrictions.

unfortunately, we cannot move the gnome.org infrastructure: Clutter,
though very much part of GNOME, exists in different ecosystems, like
GStreamer.

>  On that topic, is it on purpose that this translation is
> open to everyone?

if open access is problematic, I can make it so that only registered
users and language teams are going to be accepted. also, since
translations arrive at my email address, I can filter them out.

transifex is a new tool for me, and that's also why I asked for
feedback.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--