Re: gsettings-desktop schemas

Am Mittwoch, den 22.12.2010, 17:40 +0200 schrieb Lucian Adrian Grijincu:
> 2010/12/20 Mario Blättermann <mariobl gnome org>:
> > The question is now: does it make sense to make
> > the keys translatable?
>

> If the answer is yes (for whatever reasons) it would be extremely nice
> to have them in a separate .po file.
>
> In my view the priority is: UI, help, gsettings, but because UI and
> gsettings are mixed together and because humans have an urge to
> "finish the job", gsettings strings get translated to make the whole
> file 100% complete.

Doesn't matter. The "urge" to deliver 100% is no burden for me ;)

But I agree with you. Some teams like to skip the schema strings for now
anyway. That's why the handful of GSettings based module maintainers
could think about to split the po files as GTK already does for a long
time. In GTK, there are the folders "po" and "po-properties". The second
one is for property nicks which likely appear in the terminal only. We
could do it similarly. We create a folder "po-gsettings" and fill the
file POTFILES.in with the names of the gsettings-related files. Just
introduce it to the autotools stack, and we can go ahead. One hand, we
have satisfied translators, other hand, the other translators which
actually want to translate it may skip it until dconf-editor really
works. But this procedure works only if we have the gsettings keys
always in separate source files, apart from other code.

Cheers,
Mario