Re: Testing translations (was: Here we go again *SIGH*)

Le vendredi 13 mars 2009 à 10:33 +0200, F Wolff a écrit :
> Op Do, 2009-03-12 om 09:55 +0100 skryf Johannes Schmid:
> > Most developers seem to work in "C" Locale anyway or (like me) simply
> > cannot see easily if a string is simply not translated to their locale
> > as they added it recently or if it's not marked.
>
> Hallo Johannes, everybody
>
> Please have a look at podebug from the Translate Toolkit:
> http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/toolkit/podebug
>
> It is made specifically to solve this problem. You can create a PO file
> with all strings filled with a "pseudo-translation". This should make it
> mostly obvious which strings are not marked for translation. Of course
> you have to exercise the application quite a bit, but I assume most
> developers know how to do that with their own software.
>
> This is part of the preparation for string freeze of the applications we
> develop. In fact, we like to do it all the time as features are added.
>
> Podebug has different modes for the pseudo translation, including one
> that will add a rich non-ascii version of the string that still
> resembles the English somewhat. That also allows a developer to test for
> correct handling of non-ascii information.
>
> To test the resulting files, this page might also be of help:
> http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/guide/testing
>
> I hope this is useful.

This is *really* useful. Could you add a section "Testing translations"
in L10N Guidelines for Developers on the Wiki:
http://live.gnome.org/TranslationProject/DevGuidelines

The content could resemble to the mail content you sent above.

Cheers,

Claude