Re: Here we go again *SIGH*

On þri, 2009-03-03 at 14:41 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:
> I would also point out that having no freeze break (with requests from
> the developers, of course) would be bad: having some breaks is a good
> sign, showing that the development is active and not dead. Of course,
> we
> don't want tons of freeze breaks. And of course they should be
> approved
> first.
>
> Vincent

The responses from the developers indicate quite clearly that they
are not satisfied with the methods of string freeze.
Presently a number of developers, are deliberately breaking the
string freeze and thereby creating trouble for translators.
The argument seems to be: "We break string freeze because we can".
Both developers and translators are working on volunteer basis,
doing their best.

To stop this from developing into a conflict, I suggest the
following changes in the development process:

* The development in trunk branches very early into releases,
giving developers more time to fix bugs in a release.
During this time, the developers focus on the branch.

* After an early branch, a string freeze is imposed on the
trunk, giving translators time to translate the trunk.

* We introduce release po files that are essentially
the strings in a release but not in the trunk it
branched from. This would make the work of the translator
much easier.

* When string freeze is released off the trunk, new strings
and translations can be merged back from the release(es)
to the trunk.

So essentially this describes two ideas: release-po files, and
separating the work area of developers and translators.

It goes without saying that the string freeze would have to
be 100% effective, with no possibility to break it.

What do you think?
--
Anna Jonna Ármannsdóttir coordinator
The Icelandic GNOME Localisation team